Greetings from the National Council for Population and Development.
The National Council for Population and Development (NCPD) draws its mandate from the Legal Notice No. 120 of October 29, 2004, which gives the Council the authority and responsibility for the overall direction and management of population issues.
As a state corporation, we are charged with the responsibility of coordinating the implementation of population and development activities being carried out by various stakeholders in Kenya. Further, we are the focal point on all matters relating to Population and Development Policies and Programmes in the Country.
Under the legal Notice Number 172 contained in the Kenya Gazette supplement Number 152 dated 25th November 2011, the Council has the following mandates;
- To Research and analyze population issues and develop policies relating to population.
- To provide leadership and mobilize support for population programmes, including coordination and implementation by different organizations.
- To assess the impact of population programmes and make recommendations arising from such assessments.
- To Identify and advise on population issues that may not be adequately or appropriately dealt with by the government.
- To Create public awareness on population and development issues in Kenya
- To Undertake viable advocacy activities aimed at achieving support on certain population concerns
Over the years, the National Council for Population and Development has made great strides towards the realization of its mandate. Part of this momentous journey as the world rekindles the 1994 Cairo conference on International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) Program of Action (PoA). Overtime, great progress has been made amidst challenges and emerging population issues every day. There is improved maternal healthcare for women and girls, we have a lower percentage of underage girls being forced into early marriages, we have more girls in classrooms and in work places; we have truly made progress.
We underscore the commitment of the National Council for Population and Development in playing its rightful role towards realizing its mandate; we continue to promote and coordinate population and development activities in Kenya as well as acting as a focal point for leadership and guidance in matters related to population and development in the country.